[llvm-dev] (RFC) Encoding code duplication factor in discriminator

Dehao Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 1 21:34:57 PDT 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> *From: *"Dehao Chen" <dehao at google.com>

Sure. Original code:

for (int i = 0; i < N; i++)
  a[i] = b[i];

Transformed code:

for (int i = 0; i < N / 4; i++)
  vectorized_assign_4(&a[i * 4], &b[i * 4]); // discriminator 0x400, sample
count 20
for (int i = N & ~3; i < N; i++)
  a[i] = b[i];       // discriminator 0x10000, sample count 10

The derived sample count for original a[i] = b[i] is: 20 * 4 + 10 = 90

>> If it does, it seems like this should be specific to vectorization. For
>> unrolling, you still have the same number of instructions, and so you just
>> need to make the different instructions from the different loop iterations
>> carry different discriminator values (so they they'll sum together, instead
>> of using the maximum, as you explained in your original proposal).
>>

> Let's take a look at the original loop unroll example. My proposed
> discriminator assignment is:
> for (i = 0; i < N & 3; i+= 4) {
>   foo();  // discriminator: 0x400
>   foo();  // discriminator: 0x400
>   foo();  // discriminator: 0x400
>   foo();  // discriminator: 0x400
> }
> if (i++ < N) {
>   foo();   // discriminator: 0x10000
>   if (i++ < N) {
>     foo(); // discriminator: 0x20000
>     if (i++ < N) {
>       foo();  // discriminator: 0x30000
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> IIRC, your proposed discriminator assignment is:
>
> To be clear, I don't think that I've proposed any assignment scheme at
> all. Regardless, I was asking this question purely in the context of your
> proposal.

Oh I used this example to show my understanding of your reply "For
unrolling, you still have the same number of instructions, and so you just
need to make the different instructions from the different loop iterations
carry different discriminator values (so they they'll sum together, instead
of using the maximum, as you explained in your original proposal)." Please
let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

Thanks,
Dehao