[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving the experience of first-time contributors

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 1 07:59:43 PDT 2016

It's not just first-time contributors who can have this problem...
...but it can be especially off-putting to first-timers.

> # How do other projects solve this?
> I've always been impressed at how Rust has been able to attract a
> steady stream of new contributors. They have a simple but seemingly
> effective tool for helping people land their first patch: the highfive
> bot. Upon a user making their first pull request, it posts a welcome
> message and assigns someone to review it.

Sweet.

> # A proposal
> I propose that we form a group of people who specifically volunteer to
> help review first-time patches. A simple phabricator bot could assign
> someone randomly much like Rust's highfive.

That's an awesome idea for people who do actually post a patch to
phabricator.  I'll just point out that phabricator isn't officially
required, and is in fact an extra barrier to entry, so we should
have some tactic for handling emailed patches if we can manage it.

I know people will react with "what barrier?" but it's YADA
(Yet Another Damn Account) and I know *I* hate doing that for
something I view as a one-off.

> One potential pitfall I'd like to highlight is that many patches
> really require the sign-off of the code owner. It could be equally
> frustrating for newcomers if people helpfully tell them to tweak their
> variable names, fix their formatting, and make other cosmetic changes
> only to find that time was wasted when the code owner step in a week
> or two later to say a completely different approach needs to be used.

People who sign up to be first-responders :-) should probably have
some sense of when patches are of that nature, and say so in their
initial response.  If nothing else, cosmetic feedback will get new
contributors in tune with our style guide and make subsequent rounds
feel more substantive/less picky.

> # Next steps
>
> Does anybody have any views here? My 'raise your hand' poll at the
> LLVM Cauldron did seem to think many felt things could be improved.

Agreed.  Partly it's the raw size of the project; when I was on a
two-person team it was never a problem to get reviews done, but
with a dozen or more and looking for someone to volunteer, there's
a significant "somebody else will get to it" factor.  And then nobody
does.  With volunteer first-responders it's something they've signed
up to do, however, and that makes a big difference.
--paulr