[llvm-dev] problems with objects larger than PTRDIFF_MAX

Alexander Cherepanov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 29 06:18:54 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-20 19:58, David Majnemer via llvm-dev wrote:
> I've come across this issue before and came to the following conclusion:
> - We are not obligated to support objects that large, C11 5.2.4.1/1 only
> requires that we support objects of size 65535!

Right, the standard doesn't require it. But I guess you don't imply that
it's fine for clang to silently miscompile any program that works with
objects larger than 65535 bytes.

> Their guidance for maximum
> object size is stated to be half of SIZE_MAX in C11 K.3.4/4 which is
> typically equivalent to PTRDIFF_MAX.

Whose guidance? Annex K is kinda alien to the rest of the standard and
its future is not clear. See, e.g.,
http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1969.htm .

> - The expectation that PTRDIFF_MAX is more or less a proxy for the largest
> object size is not uncommon.   For example, C++'s std::count doesn't return
> a size_t but a iterator_traits<>::difference_type which is going to be a
> ptrdiff_t for things like std::vector.

Bug in C++? Because max_size() of std::vector<char> has the type
`size_type` and returns SIZE_MAX in practice (even on x86-64).

Let's see other examples (on x86-32):

- glibc's malloc is happy to allocate more than PTRDIFF_MAX bytes (and
this is important in practice so (at least some) glibc devs are
reluctant to "fix" it);

- clang has a compile-time limit for sizes of objects and types which is
SIZE_MAX. For example, it compiles "char a[-1ul]; int main() {}" but
complains about "char a[-1ul + 1ull]; int main() {}";

- `new` for more than PTRDIFF_MAX works fine when compiled by clang++
(but throws std::bad_array_new_length when compiled by g++).

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:31 AM, John Regehr via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> It could be that 32-bit systems are disappearing so rapidly that nobody
>> cares too much about this issue,

Please note that there is a whole new 32-bit architecture -- x32.

--
Alexander Cherepanov