[llvm-dev] RFC: FileCheck Enhancements

Ehsan Amiri via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 26 07:35:03 PDT 2016

7.       Wildcard for prefixes - If some statements should be checked
regardless prefix, it should be used //{{*}}, //{{*}}-NEXT, //{{*}}-SAME
and etc.

> 8.       Prefix with regular expressions - If statement should be checked
> if prefix matches some regular expression, it should be used {{regex}}:,
> {{regex}}-NEXT  and etc.

I, too, think wildcard and regular expression for prefixes will make it
hard to read the test files. Currently I can highlight the prefix and focus
on a specific test, but that won't be possible when these features are
used. I prefer an easy to read but long test file to a hard to read but
compact one.