[llvm-dev] Liveness of AL, AH and AX in x86 backend

mats petersson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 24 10:37:40 PDT 2016

What I was trying to say is that in the past, this sort of construct could
be quite significantly worse than the "ideal" code (avoiding such partial
register things), and as such I expect some effort has gone into AVOIDING
using the `al` and `ah` in ways that lead to `ax` being used as a
combination thereof. Whilst it may be detrimental for code-size, it's
possible that this is so ingrained in the code that it's hard to avoid it
producing code like what you posted.

Of course, I'm only speculating, and there may be other answers. I'm NOT a
"x86-backend guy" (nor any other kind of backend, for that matter - the
little I know about compilers is from working on the frontend). I do
however, have a fair understanding both of processor architectures and the
optimisation of x86-code in general from having worked within AMD for about
10 years and other places where code-generation and optimisation are
important. I'm not so hot on the latest x86 processors, as I've been doing
most of my recent work with mobile phone systems (not the x86-based
variety). But the "partial register stall" is quite old, so I do remember
that.

--
Mats