[llvm-dev] BoundsChecking Pass

Pierre Gagelin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 23 07:47:17 PDT 2016

Hi Nuno,

On 22 May 2016 at 22:33, Nuno Lopes <nunoplopes at sapo.pt> wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> I'm the author of the BoundsChecking pass.

Wow, I am happily surprised to have an answer from you directly!

> It's true there's little documentation about it (only mentioned in:
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UndefinedBehaviorSanitizer.html#availablle-checks).
> You can run it with 'clang -fsanitize=bounds' or 'opt -bounds-checking'.
> The BoundsChecking pass, AddressSanitizer and BaggyBoundsCheck are all
> different code bases, each exploring a different set of tradeoffs.  The
> goal of the BoundsChecking pass was that the runtime penalty should be low
> enough to enable usage in production.
>
> Some information about the BoundsChecking pass:
> - It is intra-procedural only. If you dereference a pointer that was
> passed as argument, then it is not checked (with some exceptions).
> - It supports heap allocations, provided that these allocations are done
> using 1) standard functions that LLVM recognizes (malloc, new, strdup, etc)
> or 2) functions are annotated with alloc_size (
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html)
> - It's helpful to compile with -O2, otherwise the pass will get confused
> very quickly.  The design of the analysis assumes at least a few
> simplifications were done before.

OK, I just compiled it with -O2 and the heapoverflow protection have been
triggered. Though, I don't know what is the simplification required for the
pass to run correctly?

> - Sometimes LLVM transforms loops into intrinsics, like memcpy or memset.
> Right now these are not checked (but should, though)
> - Guards are mostly not hoisted out of loops by LLVM; this needs
> improvement otherwise perf may suffer quite a bit.

Are you still working on it? If yes, what is it that you are trying to do?
I would like to work on this Pass during summer (until end of August). That
would be great if you could lead me a little bit =)

> - The analysis code is in lib/Analysis/MemoryBuiltins.cpp

I have a question on this. As I read the code I was wondering how the
run-time part was implemented. I was looking for something like a
redefinition of malloc&free functions but I found no clue. Now I'm
wondering if it's reduced to the run-time action of the
ObjectSizeOffsetEvaluator class? This one is used to get the size&offset of
the current array pointer.

> Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have more questions.

This already helped a lot, thank you!

> Nuno

Pierre