[llvm-dev] A "Cross-Platform Runtime Library API" in LLVM IR

mats petersson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 23 01:18:44 PDT 2016

So, the backend should implement "__alloc" that does the same as "malloc" -
or something subtly different from "malloc" - and on a Windows machine, how
is it different from "HeapAlloc"? And "__write" that is same as UNIX
"write", but different from "WriteFile" in Windows? And HOW do you expect
the backend to implement these? By calling "malloc"/"HeapAlloc",
"write"/"WriteFile"?

This is what the C library is for, it provides a set of independent
functions that are reasonably well defined and reasonably portable between
archiectures. If you are compiling something different than C, you'll need
to implement something similar [and perhaps, like I did, interface to the C
runtime library even in a non-C language with thin wrapper functions].

Sorry if I misunderstood your idea, as David says, maybe you need to
explain a bit more...

--
Mats