[llvm-dev] External function resolution: MCJIT vs ORC JIT

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 20 10:30:10 PDT 2016

Hi Larry,

Thanks so much! This seems to do the trick. I would have spun my wheels for
> a long time before discovering all of this, wow.

No worries. :)
I'll try to keep this in mind and make sure I address it in future
Kaleidoscope tutorial chapters - these issues tripped me up the first time
I encountered them too.

Do I even want to know what additional chickens need to be sacrificed to
> get this to work on Windows?

I don't build on Windows myself, so I'm not certain. I know there are
people using ORC on Windows though, and evidently at least simple code
works. I only know of one big gotcha, which is that COFF files don't
properly handle the SF_Exported symbol flag, so whenever you go searching
for a symbol in the JIT on windows you have to call findSymbol with
ExportedSymbolsOnly=false. Other than that I don't think usage should
differ too much between platforms.

On the feature support side: the JIT linker for Windows (RuntimeDyldCOFF)
is less mature, so you may run into unimplemented features there. While I
don't have much time to work on Windows support myself, we definitely want
to improve support for it so patches, bug reports and feature requests are
all very welcome.

In case it's useful too, here's a link to the LLILC JIT file, which uses a
simple ORC setup on Windows:
https://github.com/dotnet/llilc/blob/dd12743f9cdb5418f1c39b2cd756da1e8396a922/lib/Jit/LLILCJit.cpp#L299

Cheers,
Lang.