[llvm-dev] RFC: LNT/Test-suite support for custom metrics and test parameterization

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 20 10:02:38 PDT 2016

> On May 12, 2016, at 11:21 PM, Elena Lepilkina via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As we understood great changes will be done in LNT, so we are waiting to new LNT version and stopped our work in LNT.
>
> One more question about using test-suite separately with cmake. Cmake can only build all tests and generate lit tests. After that we can run LIT and get report which is not equal with report (simple) got with make. Cmake test-suite version has no features to run custom metrics and generate other report type, right?
>
> Are these features of make-version of test-suite planned to be added?
The lit test-suite runner supports arbitrary metrics, it already features codesizes for different segments, compiletime, linktime, executable hash, execution time. I designed it be easily extensible with further metrics. Not all of these metrics are understood by LNT yet so they may get lost after submission to an LNT database.

We do not use GenerateReport.pl and friends in the cmake/lit version anymore, as the main data collection and reporting mechanism in llvm has mostly shifted to LNT these days. In any case it should be easy to use “lit -o result.json” and process the resulting json file in your favorite scripting language to generate arbitrary reports.

As far as the TEST.*.Makefile things go: Many of those variants have no equivalent in cmake/lit. But I have the strong feeling that the majority of those is not really used or even broken so there are no plans to adding them to. On the other hand I would love to hear from people that actually use any of those besides TEST.simple.Makefile, it should be possible to transition most of them but I’d first like to  hear what they are used for.

- Matthias