[llvm-dev] Automake Assembler Assumptions with LLVM-MC

James Grosbach via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 19 15:48:53 PDT 2016

Sorry for missing any context. It appears the thread is forked somewhere.

> On May 19, 2016, at 6:33 AM, John Reagan via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 01:10:50PM +0000, Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev wrote:
>> It's my understanding that llvm-mc is intended to be a testing tool
>> for LLVM developers rather than an assembler for end users.

This is true.

>> Users
>> should be assembling with clang.

This is mostly true, as it’s atypical to be using LLVM for an assembler and not using clang as a C/C++ front end. It’s not, however, supposed to be a requirement to use clang.

Creating an as(1) style user-facing driver to package up the assembler independently of clang is a totally reasonable thing to do. That should, however, be a separate tool from llvm-mc.