[llvm-dev] opt: symbol lookup error:

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 19 07:24:52 PDT 2016

On 5/18/16 4:23 AM, meng qingkun via llvm-dev wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am a newbie of llvm. I want to learn how to use llvm pass, but when
> I test the tutorial hello pass, the following error comes up.
>

> opt: symbol lookup error:
> /home/mqk/software/llvm/llvm-3.4/Release+Asserts/lib/LLVMHello.so:
> undefined symbol: _ZN4llvm9Statistic17RegisterStatisticEv

You can use the c++filt program to print a more readable version of the
symbol.  When I use "c++filt __ZN4llvm9Statistic17RegisterStatisticEv"
(I had to add an extra underscore), I get:

llvm::Statistic::RegisterStatistic()

You need to find the LLVM library that defines this method and link it
into your pass by adding it to the LIBS or USEDLIBS variable in the
Makefile (or something similar).

Regards,

John Criswell

> I have read the answer suplied by "*Arnamoy Bhattacharyya*arnamoy at
> ualberta.ca
> <mailto:llvm-dev%40lists.llvm.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BLLVMdev%5D%20%22symbol%20lookup%20error%22%20while%20running%20a%20Simple%20Loop%20Pass&In-Reply-To=%3CCALu0%2BSnY0Piz03oa8mwjbv5qspt-oGetHdrPJMVDiaU3iKKNPw%40mail.gmail.com%3E>"
> and I have also built llvm in one and only directory, but the problem
> remains. Could anybody help me fix this? thank you very much!

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell