[llvm-dev] llvm-toolchain-3.8 on lower arm targets, specifically Debian armel and Raspbian.

peter green via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 17 13:36:11 PDT 2016

On 17/05/16 18:07, Tim Northover wrote:
> Yes, it looks like we'd need to conditionally compile these functions
> in ARM mode and use the v6 barrier instead of dmb ("mcr p15, #0, r0,
> c7, c10, #5" I believe) to support the ARM1176JZF-S in RPi. You'd
> probably also want the build system to use an explicit -march=armv6 or
> something so you're not at the mercy of how the host compiler was
> configured.
>
> I suspect you're the first person to try and get compiler-rt going for
> pre-v7 hardware, which most of us prefer to pretend never happened
> most of the time.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Can you clarify what exactly compiler-rt is and how important it is to
the stack as a whole. It seems that llvm-toolchain-3.7 built
successfully on raspbian without building compiler-rt while
llvm-toolchain-3.8 built an armv7 compiler-rt (and hence got blocked
from entering the raspbian repos).