[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 17 10:43:33 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Let me summarize the current status of the discussion to check and propose a
> path forward.
>
> * Summary *
>
> Basically, the high-level status is:
> 1. Commits should state when they are fixes.
> 2. Bugs should be tracked in a PR.
>
> None of these is a hard requirement but instead, best practices that we
> should remind to the contributors.
> For #1, I propose the attached patch for the commit message policy.
>

> * What Is Next? *
>
> Now, moving forward, we should investigate if it is possible to have:
> A. Hooks on commit to automatically update some field in Diffusion/Bugzilla
> when a fix is committed.
> B. PRs automatically created for fixes that do not have a PR.
>
> For A, the idea is to have an automatic way to update the PRs (like resolved
> and fixed with a revision number) when some keywords are set (like fixes
> PR#). The idea with Diffusion is to have a field that marks the commit has
> been a fix and that we could manually set if we forgot to set the keyword at
> commit time.

Like someone else pointed out, the PR shouldn't necessarily be marked
fixed because there's a commit referring to it.

The way I'd propose is simply a commit hook that adds a message to the
bug: "Commit rXXX refers to this bug:\n\n(quote of commit message)".

Note that this would also fire when a commit referring to a PR gets
reverted (assuming the reverting commit doesn't botch the commit
message), etc., which is super useful for those following along on the
bug's cc list.

> * Feedback Needed *
>
> - Is it possible to have commit hooks to set some fields in
> Diffusion/Bugzilla?

Yes, and since our SVN repository and Bugzilla are on the same server
it shouldn't be hard. I've been meaning to look into this, but didn't
get very far yet. There are some links here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Addons#Integration_with_Source_Code_Management_programs
and e.g. this looks pretty simple:
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/svn_bz/trunk/svn_bz_append.pl

> - What do people think of the attached patch?

FWIW, I'd prefer just "Fix foo in the bar function (PRxxx)" to "Fix
foo in the bar function (http://llvm.org/PRxxx)". But I don't feel
strongly enough to object if others find the URL super useful.

Cheers,
Hans