[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 16 18:07:20 PDT 2016

Hi,

Let me summarize the current status of the discussion to check and propose a path forward.

* Summary *

Basically, the high-level status is:
1. Commits should state when they are fixes.
2. Bugs should be tracked in a PR.

None of these is a hard requirement but instead, best practices that we should remind to the contributors.
For #1, I propose the attached patch for the commit message policy.

* What Is Next? *

Now, moving forward, we should investigate if it is possible to have:
A. Hooks on commit to automatically update some field in Diffusion/Bugzilla when a fix is committed.
B. PRs automatically created for fixes that do not have a PR.

For A, the idea is to have an automatic way to update the PRs (like resolved and fixed with a revision number) when some keywords are set (like fixes PR#). The idea with Diffusion is to have a field that marks the commit has been a fix and that we could manually set if we forgot to set the keyword at commit time.

For B, assuming the PR or Diffusion becomes the way to keep trace of every fixes, it is a matter of making easy to document that we are fixing a bug even if a PR does not exist. Maybe it is possible to have some commit hooks that given a keyword (e.g., fixes PR#New) file a PR with the commit message and marks the PR as fixed (also patch the actual commit message to put the PR number).

Now, regarding how this information could be used by release managers to track what has been pulled in their release, I believe we would need to build additional tools on top of that information, but having this information is the priority IMHO.

* Feedback Needed *

- Is it possible to have commit hooks to set some fields in Diffusion/Bugzilla?
- Is it possible to have commit hooks to create PRs?
- What do people think of the attached patch?

Cheers,
-Quentin