[llvm-dev] LLVM Releases: Upstream vs. Downstream / Distros

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 13 13:01:29 PDT 2016

> On May 12, 2016, at 7:56 AM, Kristof Beyls <kristof.beyls at arm.com> wrote:
>
> FWIW, for our ARM Compiler product, we follow top-of-trunk, not the releases.
> Next to picking up new functionality quicker, it also allows us to detect regressions
> in LLVM against our in-house testing quickly, not 6 months later. We find that when
> we find a regression within 24 to 48 hours of the commit introducing it, it's much
> cheaper to get it fixed.
>
> In my opinion, it would be better overall for the LLVM project if top-of-trunk is
> tested as much as possible, if testing resources are so scarce that a choice
> has to be made between testing top-of-trunk or testing a release branch.

+1 to everything Kristof said.

I will also add to the discussion that I believe it does not make sense to try to align releases with open source in general because different people have different goals. For instance, when we (the open source community) branch for a release, we try to make the branch as stable as possible and only pull-in fixes.
Other people may have different goal, like it is possible a new feature was expected for that release and that we need to pull that in. And we are back to the problem we were discussing in the other thread: helping release manager for general commits.

Cheers,
-Quentin