[llvm-dev] Selecting optimization passes in the JIT

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 12 11:52:25 PDT 2016

Hi Nemanja,

LLVM's JIT libraries (ORC and MCJIT) do not run IR level optimizations in
their default configurations. Running IR passes is left for the client to
do before they add the IR to the JIT. The optimization level passed to LLI
(and passed from there to EngineBuilder::setOptLevel) only controls the
CodeGen optimizations.

So assuming you're running LLI (or something like it) you're free to run
any IR passes you like using opt before you invoke LLI to run the IR.

If you're interested in manually specifying which CodeGen passes to run
this is also possible, but more involved. Let me know if you would like
help with this.

Cheers,
Lang.