[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Up front type information generation in clang and llvm

Smith, Kevin B via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 11 10:51:23 PDT 2016

I believe that Amjad Aboud has argued several times that there could be one true way to generate LLVM debug info such that both
windows and DWARF debug info could be generated from it.  I know for a fact that within the Intel Compiler that the FE generates a single
set of debug info representation, that then gets translated into either MS PDB format, or DWARF depending on the target platform.

Architecturally, that is very desirable. You really do not want to have every FE have to know about, and generate different debug info depending
on whether they are targeting windows or a DWARF enabled target, do you?