[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Frédéric Riss via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 11 07:59:20 PDT 2016

> On May 11, 2016, at 5:44 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> On 11 May 2016 at 01:48, Frédéric Riss <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> I’ve been doing quite a bit of that lately. The problem is not when you cut
>> the branch, but how you maintain it. For multiple months after you branched,
>> you’re willing to take fixes for miscompiles. So you have to got through
>> every commit and gauge the risk/benefit, see if it applies, if it passes the
>> tests…
>
> Indeed!
>
> However, during our "commit message" discussion [1], the consensus was
> that too many rules means everyone will forget one or the other and
> the result will be worse. So we have to be careful with what we ask.

I didn’t mean to imply that we need to change/enforce anything, I’m aware of the trade offs. I was just pointing out some IMO relevant experience in response to ‘just choose an idles time for branching and you’ve got no issue’. We rely on people’s goodwill to write nice commit messages — this is not going to change — and my only goal was to remind readers why clear commit messages are important (ie. I know about the guidelines, it would be nice if more people followed them).

Fred