[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2016] Interprocedural Register Allocation - Introduction and Feedback

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 10 18:06:56 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "vivek pandya" <vivekvpandya at gmail.com>

In terms of scoping the project for the summer, I definitely recommend that you focus on (1) first. If you finish that, we can certainly move on to other things. Regarding link time, note that any such a design would likely look much different than in David Wall's paper however, because our LTO re-codegens everything anyway. The paper says, "Finally, it keeps us honest as designers of the system; once we postpone anything until link time, the temptation is great to postpone everything, ..." - Well, we've long-since succumb to that temptation when we LTO. C'est la vie.

> For the first part a mechanism similar to MachineModulePass would be
> desirable but that may not be possible during this project, but if
> we can make some sort of smaller version of that to suit our
> purpose.
I don't think we need to make any kind of MachineModulePass to make this work. Once we alter the visitation order based on the CGSCC iteration scheme, we can keep state in-between functions in the pre-existing hacky way (using static members of the relevant function passes).

-Hal

--

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist