[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2016] Introduction - "Enabling Polyhedral Optimizations in Julia"

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 10 06:17:21 PDT 2016

On 05/10/2016 02:59 PM, Matthias Reisinger wrote:
> Dear LLVM contributors,
>
> my name is Matthias, I am a graduate student majoring in computer
> science at the Vienna University of Technology, and I am glad to be one
> of this year's GSoC students who work for the Julia foundation. Julia is
> a relatively young programming language that uses LLVM for just-in-time
> compilation and the goal of my project is to integrate Polly in this
> environment to enable polyhedral optimizations for Julia programs. On
> the one side this will require changing Julia's LLVM IR generator to
> make the code more amenable for Polly, but on the other side it will
> also require adaptions to Polly's analyses and transformations.
>
> If you are interested you may have a look at my proposal [1], besides, I
> also plan to post interesting findings and results at my blog [2].
>
> During the next four to five weeks, I plan to do the following:
> 1. For my proposal, I've already built a very simplistic patch that
> experimentally integrated Polly into Julia's execution environment [4],
> but that was really only a proof-of-concept. Currently I am working on
> improving this patch. Based on this, one of the first milestones will be
> to introduce an annotation (namely @polly), which enables to selectively
> run Polly for annotated parts of Julia programs.
> 2. Identify and analyze first Julia programs (or their corresponding
> LLVM IR respectively) which currently cannot be optimized via Polly.
> 3. Begin to correct Julia/Polly such that polyhedral optimizations can
> be applied to these programs
>
> Essentially, points 2 and 3 will be a gradual process which will also
> build the working process for the subsequent weeks then.
>
> I'll gladly accept any kind of input so feel free to comment on this,
> post suggestions and give advice.

Perfect, thanks for posting this intro.

Do you happen to have any plans on reporting your progress publicly?

> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s5mmSW965qmOEbHiM3O4XFz-Vd7cy9TxX9RQaTK_SQo/edit?usp=sharing
> [2] http://www.mreisinger.com

Cool.

> [3] https://groups.google.com/group/julia-dev
> [4] https://gist.github.com/MatthiasJReisinger/18c08b18903d7729b5b3

Eagerly waiting for news here!

Also, please submit a patch to llvm.org/SummerOfCode/2016.html to add
some information about your project. (Also feel free to suggest
improvements to the design if needed. This is the student's page)

Best,
Tobias