[llvm-dev] RFC: metadata attachments for global variables

Pete Cooper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 6 14:29:41 PDT 2016

+1 or attaching metadata to globals.  I’d be curious if we can attach !range to a global representing an enum for example.  But…

Should we care about GlobalMerge for !dbg here?  Currently if we merge globals ‘a’ and ‘b’ in to __merged_global, i guess the DIGlobalVariable’s for ‘a’ and ‘b’ would now both point to the new __merged_global.

If thats the case, then by having the !dbg on the global, we wouldn’t be able to handle this case, unless you allow the !dbg to (optionally) point to a list of DIGlobalVariable’s.

BTW, this isn’t something I think should block this bug, but just wanted to point out that it could be an issue.  MergeFunction’s likely has a similar issue with !dbg on functions and I guess we don’t handle it there either.

Cheers
Pete