[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 18:53:28 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Justin Bogner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
> > I want to be super clear, the foundation is not insisting on anything,
> nor
> > can it.
> >
> > **I** am making this proposal as an active and long time contributor to
> > LLVM. Many other members of the community have also expressed support for
> > this on this and previous threads. But our support is given as individual
> > members of the community and it should be valued as such.
>
> Just to add a little bit to this, it's very much a mischaracterization
> of the situation to imply that the code of conduct idea is some sort of
> demand coming from the foundation.

I can see how one would interpret Chris' statement:

"""
Renato, I’m confused about your approach here.  At this point, you seem
persistently interested in discussing whether having a code of conduct is
the right thing or not.  This is missing the point: we’re committed to it,
and want to make sure that we get reasonable processes and policies in
place.

If we find out that they are problematic in practice, we can and will
course correct.
"""

as "some sort of demand coming from the foundation". In context, my reading
of "we're committed to it" is precisely "demand coming from the foundation".

Maybe a clarification is needed?

-- Sean Silva