[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Jonathan Roelofs via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 15:41:19 PDT 2016

On 5/5/16 1:06 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:

> If you think this wouldn't happen normally, then know that on our
> previous exchange I have been personally emailed by half a dozen
> people telling me how much the code would shut me down, even though
> publicly, people said they didn't think I was being harsh /
> disrespectful.

Renato,

Thank you for saying the things you're saying.

I agree with a lot of them (probably most?), but shouldn't speak out
publicly in the same way you have: these are the kinds of things get
very political very fast, and it's very easy for me to get myself in
"trouble" arguing with all these folks that want more
government/governance in their lives... I want less, and so far less
governance seems to have worked out just fine in this community.

<libertarian rant>
Your opposition's claim is that they want to protect minorities via
majority rule... but that's a performative contradiction. The individual
is the smallest minority; those who deny individual rights, cannot claim
to be defenders of minorities.
</libertarian rant>

> I fear the new code will bring that. A simpler, less power enabling
> and less biased code would not give anyone that power, and would be
> far more inclusive than the current one.

private +1

Cheers,

Jon

> cheers,