[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding an itanium c++ demangler to lib/Support

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 05:58:23 PDT 2016

On 5 May 2016, at 13:47, Rafael Espíndola via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> * Is having an itanium demangler in lib/Support something people find
> desirable or at least acceptable?

Yes.

> * The libcxxabi code is dual licensed, would the copy in lib/Support be as well?

Please don’t use the one from libcxxabi.  Howard wrote one that was initially in libcxxabi but was replaced because it had memory requirements that were incompatible with one of the use cases in libcxxabi (on the out-of-memory exception path).  It is far more flexible and allows things to be hooked in at various points in the parse.  I believe that this one was written entirely by Howard during his time as an Apple employee so can likely be relicensed with Chris’s permission if required.

> * How much llvm-like should we try to make it? Should it take an
> StringRef, return an Error and print to a raw_ostream? Or should it
> look more like __cxa_demangle to try to make it easier to move code
> in?

I believe that it should be a generally useful demangler.  __cxa_demangle has a very poorly designed interface and is really only useful for turning mangled names into strings.  The earlier one makes it easy, for example, to extract the demangled name of each argument type for a function call.  This is something that I can imagine being useful in JIT FFI contexts, for example.

David