[llvm-dev] [MemorySSA] Potential CachingMemorySSAWalker bug

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 3 12:03:16 PDT 2016

We shouldn't really fix MSSA here. As we push MSSA through the compiler,
and as the new pass manager stuff gets pushed forward, we should eventually
be able to have a nice pass for all the little expensive things that
basicaa is doing, and recompute it/update it as necessary.

TL;DR BasicAA was meant to be stateless, and we should move the things that
really require state to do well out of it and compute those separately,
which will let us get rid of arbitrary walking limits.

In particular, i expect the limit you are hitting is the decomposed gep
limit.  This is really a forward propagation problem being solved by
walking in reverse :)
The solution is to just solve it as a forward propagation problem and
update results when we need to - because it's just a forward propagation
problem, updating is simply rerunning the propagation problem for things
that have changed after removing their lattice values. it should only
propagate just what is actually necessary.