[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 2 14:43:49 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

+1

The title of each commit should briefly describe what the commit does. If we'd like to prefix the title with [Fix] or similar to indicate commits primarily intended as bug fixes, that sounds useful to me, but not essential. All of the other metadata should appear later in the commit message - it is the presence of this metadata we can search for in the commit logs that will be important.

 -Hal

> --
> Mehdi
>

> >> 2. Add a description of the problem in the commit message to help
> >> answer
> >> the following questions:
> >> - What is fixed?
> >> - Which targets are impacted?
> >> - What is required to trigger the bug? (I.e., how often the end
> >> users may
> >> encounter it.)
> >> - When was the bug introduced?
> >
> > This is super important for things that regress, and then get fixed
> > before a PR is even filed.  Even for a PR if the problem was
> > introduced in a known
> > revision, having that in the commit message helps to understand
> > whether some other revision is really safe to pull into a release.
> >

> >> #1 At the very least, I would like that each bug fix has a tag on
> >> the first line of
> >> the commit (i.e., what ends up in the subject line of the related
> >> email.)
> >> Something like [Fix] would do.
> >> Thanks to that tag, it would be possible to easily filter bug
> >> fixes in email and
> >> other cherry-picking helper tools, I believe.
> >>
> >> #2 Although it may be difficult to come up with that information,
> >> I believe it
> >> should be provided as the best of the committer knowledge. Indeed,
> >> this
> >> kind of information is useful to help release managers to
> >> ascertain how
> >> relevant is a change for their release and thus help them to
> >> decide whether to
> >> cherry-pick this change or not.
> >>
> >> What do people think?
> >
> > I like it.