[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 2 14:39:12 PDT 2016

Hi Joerg,

> On May 2, 2016, at 2:33 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 01:35:27PM -0700, Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev wrote:
>> 1. Use [Fix] for commit related to bug fixes.
>
> I'm not really such a big fan of this format, adds too much noise.

What alternatives do you have in mind?

>> 2. Add a description of the problem in the commit message to help answer the following questions:
>> - What is fixed?
>> - Which targets are impacted?
>> - What is required to trigger the bug? (I.e., how often the end users may encounter it.)
>> - When was the bug introduced?
>
> ...but this is how a commit message should look like anyway.

Sure, but we lack a standardized way to highlight the commits that are fixes IMHO.
It is a pain to go through all the commit logs without a bit of guidance, even when the commit is well documented.

Also, if this is how it is supposed to look, maybe we could write it down as a recommendation somewhere :).

> Worst
> examples in the past are references so some internal bug report systems
> without actual description for the rest of the world.

Agreed.

Cheers,
-Quentin