[llvm-dev] infer correct types from the pattern

Rail Shafigulin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 31 09:53:05 PDT 2016

> You can use a cast, and force one type in the pattern, then use the other
> one in a Pat:
>
> def VGETITEM:
>   [(set GPR:$rD, (extractelt (v4i32 VR:$rA), GPR:$rB))]
>
> def: Pat<(extractelt (v4f32 VR:$rA), GPR:$rB)),
>          (VGETITEM VR:$rA, GPR:$rB)>;
>
> -Krzysztof
>

> --
> Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted
> by The Linux Foundation

Krzysztof,

I'm curious how do you know LLVM so well? Most of the times your answers
are exactly what I need. I was recommended to read code (as usual), however
it is challenging without knowing what the code is trying to express. IMHO
it is better to have a concept first and then express it in code. I've been
trying to find books, tutorials, etc, but there doesn't seem to be good
examples out there. Basically my questions are:

1. What is your adivce on learning LLVM (and compiler design)?
2. Is there a way to do quickly and efficiently or I will just have to
suffer through several years of painstaking trial and error as well as my
own research on the topic?

Any help is appreciated.

--
Rail Shafigulin