[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Up front type information generation in clang and llvm

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 30 11:36:39 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:40 AM Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2016, at 11:35 PM, mats petersson via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> How will this affect other languages that generate debug info - not that
> you should care about those, I'm just curious - my Pascal compiler does not
> generate clang-style AST, and does not use clang at all. I currently have
> code that in uses DIBuilder directly...
>

> I don’t think that the code for generating DWARF types should move into
> Clang, but rather in a separate library that can be shared by multiple
> frontends. It can even keep most of the existing DIBuilder interface (but
> we may need to split DIBuilder in a types vs. everything else part).

There will need to be an API split between front end and backend. We can
attempt to keep a lot of the current DIBuilder interface, but it's going to
make sense to have a split in the front end as well that can directly call
an emission library. Ideally we'll make it look a lot more like dwarf than
the current abstract interface, but we'll see.

-eric