[llvm-dev] [GSoC'16] Need details on New Transformations and Analyses

Hongbin Zheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 28 07:12:38 PDT 2016

Hi Adam,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Adam Nemet via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 5:13 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 03/20/2016 05:38 AM, Aries Gunawan via llvm-dev wrote:
>

> *Loop Dependence Analysis Infrastructure. *I have looked in the source
> codes repo and I saw that there is a file named “DependenceAnalysis.cpp”.
> So, does that mean this analysis has been implemented?
>
> I believe major progress has been made it, but haven't been following it
> closely.  I'd suggest talking to committers active in this file in the
> recent past to determine what useful work might be left of appropriate
> scope.  \
>

> We actually have two DA frameworks at the moment.  The file you mention is
> only used currently by the LoopInterchange pass that is off by default.
> There is also the other framework that I’ve been working on called
> LoopAccessAnalysis that’s currently used by the LoopVectorizer,
> LoopLoadElimination, LoopDistribution and LICMLoopVersioning (the latter
> two are off by default).

Do you think it is reasonable and feasible to provide a common interface
for different loop dependence analyses like alias analysis, such that
passes like LoopVectorizer/LoopLoadElimination/LoopDistribution etc. can
query loop dependency information from different implementations for
precision/compile-time trade off?

I ask because Utpal proposed to introduce dependency information calculated
by Polly to LoopVectorizer. And I am interested in building a common
interface for loop dependence analyses.

Thanks
Hongbin