[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Jia Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 25 21:20:19 PDT 2016

On 03/25/2016 08:26 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> Yeah.
> It depends entirely on your goal. In reality, often what you really
> want is something to say "hey, i've got this pointer over here, and i
> really want to hoist  it up here. Do something, tell me if that is
> possible".

And this is one motivation of my current research: how can various
precision dimensions of a pointer analysis be effectively driven by its
client.

> (This is actually why i'm a fan of CFL-AA. You can essentially make it
> as expensive or not expensive as you want, and it still does really
> well in pracftice in time)

Again, "making it as expensive or not expensive as you want" is not
something unique about cfl-aa. With the right tweak one can also do it
with a traditional solver. The real interesting question here is how to
find out what locations are most likely to matter and worth making
expensive.

- Jia