[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Jia Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 25 21:04:46 PDT 2016

On 03/25/2016 08:08 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> I’m still a big fan of context sensitive, flow insensitive,
> unification based models.

Interestingly I find the unification approach quite unsatisfactory
sometime. What happens there is pointers with the same "depth" are too
often clobbered together unless they are really unrelated to each other.

> Contrary to your claim, context sensitivity *is* useful for mod-ref
> analysis, e.g. “can I hoist a load across this call”?  Context
> sensitivity improves the precision of the mod/ref set of the call.

I'm not sure about that. How often does mod-ref information change
across callsites? Isn't a good context-insensitive function summary good
enough?

-Jia