[llvm-dev] Building a program with LLVM on Unix

David Jones via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 23 10:17:51 PDT 2016

Given that the LLVM API changes constantly, any reasonable C++ program may
very well compile properly against only one specific version/release of
LLVM. The probability that you can properly build against whatever some
user has installed on some arbitrary system approaches zero.

If you accept this, then you likely work around it by configuring and
installing an appropriate version of LLVM and its libraries yourself. At
that point, you may just as well hard-code the path to what you've
installed into your build system. Perhaps hard-code only the path to
llvm-config, and bootstrap the rest from that.