[llvm-dev] relation between address spaces and physical memory locations

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 23 02:59:09 PDT 2016

On 23 Mar 2016, at 09:43, James Molloy via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> - pointers in different address spaces cannot alias.

This is also target specific.  In our back end, the two address spaces that we use can alias (we use address spaces for indicating different kinds of pointer, rather than different kinds of underlying memory).

If address spaces could never alias, then there would be no need for an address space cast instruction, as the result would always be an invalid value.

David