[llvm-dev] Need help with code generation

Rafael Espíndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 22 13:27:35 PDT 2016

On 22 March 2016 at 16:15, Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 11:57 AM, Lang Hames via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Rafael,
>

>> It is really annoying how much people care about "security" to criticize
>> my work,
>

> FWIW it was never my intention to criticize your work. I think your work is
> amazing, and I hope you continue. What I've taken issue with is the policy
> stance.
>

> I hesitate to even pile on this thread, but Lang said something here that I
> felt really needed to be highlighted:
>
> I think LLVM projects should aim for robustness even knowing they're going
> to fall short,
>

> More generally than this, my favorite thing about working on LLVM projects
> is that as a community we strive to very high software quality standards.
> Even if we don’t meet our own standards having them changes the community
> emphasis. I think having those standards is a huge part of why the LLVM
> codebase is as high quality as it is.
>
> I hope that a commitment to general software quality is a cornerstone of
> LLD. Not treating all segfaults as P0 bugs is not a decision based in
> software quality.

My last email on this thread or on the subject at all ever is to once
more point out that we have fewer crashes than llvm, so calling
something a bug doesn't seem to have the magical properties that are
implied.

I will be improving our relocation processing to make it faster and
more obviously correct for valid inputs. That is what I see as
quality.

If you think lld doing this or that on a hexedit creation should be
called a bug or any other name, you can call it that, but it will not
influence what I work on.

Cheers,
Rafael