[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 11:59:40 PDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> features
> >>
> >> Yes.
> >> Chris did many years ago, and i've done one more recently.
> >>
> >> Great! Are they published somewhere? Can the data be shared somehow?
> >
> > No, and sadly, no
>
> This sounds like a good GSOC project.
>
> Having the evaluation done is great, but if you can't share, than
> that's pretty much useless to the community at large.

Which is why i've never mentioned it or used it in the community ;)

> Even if a student does a less thorough evaluation, having something
> out is better than having nothing, and with your expertise, I'm sure
> we can get such a student doing some pretty capable analysis with
> little resources.

FWIW, i'm not sure this is worthwhile at this time, because we pretty much
know enough of the low-hanging answers to keep someone busy with
implementation work for years.

(IE we know that scev-aa would be of significant benefit to PRE and GVN,
etc).

I would rather see someone spend their time getting SCEV-AA on by default
or CFL-AA on by default than doing another evaluation.