[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 10:40:59 PDT 2016

On 21 March 2016 at 17:17, Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>> Has anybody done any study in the past to evaluate what kinds of features
>>> in pointer analyses will benefit what kinds of optimization passes?
>>
>> Yes.
>> Chris did many years ago, and i've done one more recently.
>>
>> Great! Are they published somewhere? Can the data be shared somehow?
>
> No, and sadly, no

This sounds like a good GSOC project.

Having the evaluation done is great, but if you can't share, than
that's pretty much useless to the community at large.

Even if a student does a less thorough evaluation, having something
out is better than having nothing, and with your expertise, I'm sure
we can get such a student doing some pretty capable analysis with
little resources.

cheers,
--renato