[llvm-dev] Redundant load in llvm's codegen compares to gcc when accessing escaped pointer?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 18 08:50:01 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:

> I *think the argument* goes that this is a 20 or 24 byte object, so if you
> *could* put something of type PB at c-8, you'd illegally overlap with the
> object at c.
>
> Thus, there can't be an object of type PB at c-8.
>
> (IE any valid object must be sizeof(PB) away in either direction, which
> means it's not possible for c->f1_ to clobber c no matter what bar does)

Ah, I'm not sure just how loose no-strict-aliasing is, I figured that would
allow overlapping objects, etc? (if it allows treating memory as both an
int and a float, etc, I wouldn't've guessed it would disallow accessing
part of it as one, part as another, etc - so long as alignment was
preserved) seemed to me like that was the point, but, yeah, I really don't
know much about it.