[llvm-dev] Problem with __builtin_object_size when it depends on a condition

George Burgess IV via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 17 14:59:12 PDT 2016

Ahh, that makes much more sense then; thanks for the detailed illustration.
:)

Though, in your example:

*** IR Dump After Partially inline calls to library functions ***
; Function Attrs: nounwind readnone uwtable
define i64 @foo(i32 %flag) #0 {
entry:
  %chararray = alloca [30 x i8], align 16
  %chararray2 = alloca [10 x i8], align 1
  %0 = getelementptr inbounds [30 x i8], [30 x i8]* %chararray, i64 0, i64 0
  call void @llvm.lifetime.start(i64 30, i8* %0) #5
  %1 = getelementptr inbounds [10 x i8], [10 x i8]* %chararray2, i64 0, i64
0
  call void @llvm.lifetime.start(i64 10, i8* %1) #5
  %tobool = icmp eq i32 %flag, 0
  %cptr.0 = select i1 %tobool, i8* %0, i8* %1
  %2 = call i64 @llvm.objectsize.i64.p0i8.i32(i8* %cptr.0, i1 true, i32 10)
  call void @llvm.lifetime.end(i64 10, i8* %1) #5
  call void @llvm.lifetime.end(i64 30, i8* %0) #5
  ret i64 %2
}

Why is the third argument to @llvm.objectsize necessary? It seems that we
have enough information to just compute "10" during CGP. Are there cases
where we wouldn't be able to do this?