[llvm-dev] [GSOC] Forth Frontend for LLVM or LLVM Superoptimizer

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 16 09:00:29 PDT 2016

On 3/15/16 10:59 AM, stephen via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to work on a new Forth frontend for LLVM or possibly for
> another language. I am also interested on the LLVM superoptimizer
> project, but I don't currently know how to work on the backend of a
> compiler. What things should I understand before tackling such a
> project?

For the first project, I think you should understand the LLVM IR and how
to use the C++ API (e.g., the IRBuilder class) to create and manipulate
the IR.  If you can write a simple LLVM pass, that would be a good start.

For the second project, I'm not really sure.  You should look at the
existing work and see if it transforms code at the LLVM IR level or the
MachineIntr level (i.e., is it a ModulePass/FunctionPass or a
MachineFunctionPass?).  That will guide you on what background you need.

Just out of curiosity, why the interest in Forth?

Regards,

John Criswell

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell