[llvm-dev] [Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Andrey Bokhanko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 15 12:28:15 PDT 2016

Hola Chandler,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Chandler Carruth via Openmp-dev <
openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> It seems like if the OpenMP folks want to add a liboffload plugin to
> StreamExecutor, that would be an awesome additional platform, but I don't
> see why we need to force the coupling here.

Let me give you a reason: while user-facing sides of StreamExecutor and
OpenMP are quite different (and each warrants its place under the sun!),
internal SE's offloading interface and liboffload are doing exactly the
same thing. Why we want to duplicate code? As previous replies
demonstrated, SE can't serve OpenMP's needs, while liboffload API seems to
be general enough to serve SE well (though this has to be verified, of
course -- as I understand, Jason is going to do this).

Sure, there is no "must have need" to couple SE and liboffload, but this
sounds like a solid software engineering decision to me. Or, quoting Jason,
who said this much better than me:

> Although OpenMP and StreamExecutor support different programming models,
> some of the work they perform under the hood will likely be very similar.
> By sharing code and domain expertise, both projects will be improved and
> strengthened as their capabilities are expanded. The StreamExecutor
> community looks forward to much collaboration and discussion with OpenMP
> about the best places and ways to cooperate.

Espere veure't demà!

Yours,
Andrey
=====