[llvm-dev] clang triple and clang target

Rail Shafigulin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 12 11:51:34 PST 2016

> I assume with target you mean the backend? Consider the x86 backend. It
> supports 32bit and 64bit mode, with the GNU x32 ABI in between. There
> are three different executable formats support (ELF, PE, MachO) with
> different constraints. Some platforms require 32bit alignment of the
> stack, others require 128bit alignment. The list goes on. The triple
> specifies
> the combination of target, OS and potentially file format and sub-ABI.
>
> Joerg

Thanks for the response. I was trying to generate assembly which would use
vector instructions. I need to see how they look, whether it is ARM, Mips
or X86. However for some reason clang would generate an error saying that a
given target does not exist. Here is the command line I used:

clang -S test.c -o test.sse2.x86-64.s --target=x86-unknown-linux-eabi
-mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=x86-64 -mfpu=SSE2 -fslp-vectorize-aggressive
-fslp-vectorize-aggressive -fslp-vectorize -fvectorize
-fno-lax-vector-conversions

Here is the response I got:
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-mfloat-abi=hard'
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-mcpu=x86-64'
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-mfpu=SSE2'
error: unknown target triple 'x86-unknown-linux-eabi', please use -triple
or -arch

I tried every possible combination of --target I could think of but nothing
worked. Would you mind helping me out?
Any help is appreciated.

--
Rail Shafigulin