[llvm-dev] crowdsourcing analysis and tuning of LLVM optimization heuristic?

Grigori Fursin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 11 06:16:06 PST 2016

By the way, some of you asked us about the workloads we are currently using.

Current workloads in the CK are just to test our collaborative
optimization prototype and are a bit outdated (open source programs,
kernels and datasets from our past projects).

However, our point is to make an open system where the community can
add various (realistic) workloads via GitHub with some meta information
in JSON format to be able to participate in collaborative benchmarking
and tuning.

Such meta information exposes data sets used, command lines,
input/output files, etc.
This helps add multiple data sets for a given benchmark or even reuse
already shared ones. Finally, this meta information makes it relatively
straightforward to apply predictive analytics to find correlations between
workloads and optimizations.

Our hope is to eventually make a large and diverse pool of public
workloads. In such case, users will be able to select representative
workloads for their own requirements (performance, code size, energy,
resource constraints, etc) and a target hardware.

Furthermore, since optimization spaces are huge and it is infeasible
to explore them by one user or even in one data center, our approach
allows all shared  workloads to continuously participate in crowdtuning,
i.e. searching for good optimizations across diverse platforms while
continuously reporting "unexpected behavior"
(similar to traditional bug buildbots).

Regards,
Grigori