[llvm-dev] Formalize "revert for more design review" policy.

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 9 09:43:21 PST 2016

On 03/08/2016 09:00 PM, Sean Silva via llvm-dev wrote:
> Recently there's been some friction over reversions (I can remember
> two cases in recent memory). In both issues the general feel I got is
> that as a community we should honor "revert for more design review"
> requests unconditionally.
>
> What do you guys think of adding something like this to
> DeveloperPolicy.rst as an item at the end of the numbered list in
> http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#code-reviews ?
>
> #. Sometimes patches get committed that need more discussion.
>    If a developer thinks that a patch would benefit from some more review
>    and promptly communicates this, the patch should be reverted
> (preferably
>    by the original author, unless they are unresponsive).
>    Developers often disagree, and erring on the side of the developer
>    asking for more review prevents any lingering disagreement over code in
>    the tree.
+1 to the general proposal.  A couple of small word tweaking suggestions:
1) we should emphasize this is a "no fault" situation.  i.e. it's not
that the author did anything wrong per se.
2) "thinks that a patch" -> "thinks that a recently committed patch" +
drop the promptly bit
3) "should be reverted" -> "should be reverted promptly".
4) Add a sentence: "Reverting a patch ensures that design discussions
can happen without blocking other development; it's entirely possible
the patch will end up being reapplied essentially as is once concerns
have been resolved."