[llvm-dev] Postdoctoral Opportunity at ALCF regarding FPGAs and OpenMP 4

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 7 19:22:20 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

Argonne's Leadership Computing Facility has an opening for a postdoctorial appointee focused on future technologies in supercomputing, specifically looking at FPGAs. We'll be building on OpenMP in Clang/LLVM to implement our deliverables in close collaboration with major FPGA vendors.

Position Description

The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and expertise. This is an exciting opportunity for you to contribute to a new way of thinking in high-performance computing (HPC) by marrying state-of-the-art reconfigurable hardware with modern performance-portable programming models. This research will combine advances in high-level synthesis for field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs ) with the emerging OpenMP 4 programming model, thus enabling existing HPC codes to take advantage of the advanced floating-point support available in modern FPGA designs. This same technology will also enable applications relying primarily on integer processing, such as those from bioinformatics.

Responsibilities are centered around adapting OpenMP 4 support in the Clang/LLVM compiler to support offloading computation to FPGAs. A passion for improving compiler technology, a keen interest in non-traditional computing hardware, and a desire to advance scientific computing, will be rewarded in this position.

Position Requirements

We expect you to have experience and demonstrated advanced knowledge of:

    * Compiler and toolchain development, including intermediate representations, machine-independent and machine-dependent optimizations, and code generation; experience with LLVM is preferred.
    * Instruction sets and computer architectures, including pipeline structure and hazards, and cache and memory hierarchies.
    * Field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs ) and high-level synthesis technology.
    * High-level compiler optimizations; experience with polyhedral loop optimizations is preferred.
    * Language semantics of one of the following: C, C++, Fortran.
    * Experience with the OpenMP programming model.
    * High-performance computing and scientific code development.Experience with code optimization, using profiling and performance monitoring tools and techniques.
    * Good debugging skills on both software and hardware logic.

In addition, you should show:

    * Effective analytical and problem-solving skills to contribute to creative solutions to complex problems.
    * Good communications skills, both verbal and written.
    * Good collaborative skills, including the ability to work well with other labs, universities, computing centers, and industry.

Information regarding how to apply can be found by visiting http://www.anl.gov/careers/apply-job/postdoctoral-applicants and searching for Requisition Number 400503. Please let me know if you would like to chat about the project in more detail or have any other questions. Note that US citizenship is *not* required.

Thanks in advance,
Hal

--
Hal Finkel