[llvm-dev] [RFC] lifetime.end metadata

Akira Hatanaka via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 2 10:51:52 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Akira Hatanaka via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> If we want to insert the missing lifetime.end markers for the strings,
>> we'll have to insert them at the beginning of lpad's successors, %eh.resume
>> and %terminate.lpad, because the destructor call in lpad is an invoke
>> instruction. However, if we insert the lifetime.end markers for all of
>> them, the lifetimes of the strings will overlap clang generates only one
>> resume block and one terminate block per function.
>>

> In C++11, destructors are noexcept by default, so I'm not sure this really
> matters that much going forward. You can still declare your destructor
> noexcept(false), in which case, maybe we don't care as much about
> optimizing your stack slot usage.

Ah, that's a good point. I still have to investigate whether the code is or
can be compiled with -std=c++11, but if that is the case, lifetime.end
metadata won't be needed.

>> To get tighter bounds for the strings' lifetimes, I'm considering
>> attaching lifetime.end metadata to the destructor calls in clang:
>>
>> invoke void @foo("basic_string"* %str) to label %eh.resume unwind label
>> %terminate.lpad, !lifetime_end !10
>>
>> !10 = !{i32 0}
>>
>> SelectionDAGBuilder will then insert a lifetime.end node if there is a
>> lifetime.end attached to an invoke instruction.
>>
>> Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Or are there better ways to
>> tell the backend that the lifetimes do not overlap?
>>

> I think there are issues with this proposal. How does this approach
> interact with IPO like inlining? Would we insert lifetime.end in the
> inliner? What if we delete the dtor because it has no side effects, do we
> lose the lifetime info?
>
> LLVM CFG soup makes this stuff kind of awkward. :(

I think we would have to make changes to insert a lifetime.end marker when
the destructor function is inlined or is deleted. In the worst case, if the
call to the destructor is deleted and a marker isn't inserted, the
StackColoring will not be able to merge the stack slots but will still
generate functionally correct code.