[llvm-dev] Why LLVM cannot optimize this?

Hongbin Zheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 1 23:31:51 PST 2016

if you replace "zero *= a;" by "zero += a;",  you get:

; Function Attrs: norecurse nounwind readnone uwtable
define i32 @foo(i32 %a) #0 {
entry:
  %0 = mul i32 %a, 10000
  ret i32 %0
}

I think the problem is ScalarEvolution only have "SCEVAddRecExpr" for zero
+= a, but no corresponding expression to represent and optimize zero *= a;