[llvm-dev] Git Move: GitHub+modules proposal

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 21:14:25 PDT 2016

> That makes it fragile, and that’s why I disagree with your “90% done” assessment.
> What if the service behing the hook is down for a few days?

In the long-term view, a pretty trivial catch-up script ought to be
able to synthesize a sane history after any amount of down-time.
People could even run it locally for their bisecting needs if it was
that important to them.

In the short term, I don't think it's a critical enough service to
worry about, frankly. What we already have is hopelessly fragile:
right now when LLVM's server plays up it takes out absolutely
everything, in the proposed world it would take out this bisecting
convenience feature. Seems like a strict improvement to me.

> Who will maintain it?

I'm not the best scripter and I'd be happy to cede to someone else,
but I'd be willing if it meant we could make progress.

Tim.