[llvm-dev] [MemorySSA] Potential bug in MemoryUse defining access calculation

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 27 11:14:16 PDT 2016

This is definitely a caching bug related to this code:
   1038    // Don't try to optimize this phi again if we've already tried
to do so.
   1039    if (!Q.Visited.insert(PHIPair).second) {
   1040      ModifyingAccess = CurrAccess;
   1041      break;
   1042    }

We don't differentiate elsewhere between having stopped at a phi because we
were path walking and discovered that path has no conflicts, and having
stopped at a phi because that was the clobbering access.

Because of this, we cache the result as if it was a clobbering access, when
it really means "you can ignore this path".

The logic in the code that handles the former case only exists after the
cache lookups, and so the first use properly detects that it can ignore
this phi, and the second use , which just hits the cache, cannot.