[llvm-dev] The state of IRPGO (3 remaining work items)

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 26 22:21:13 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
wrote:

> There is some misunderstanding about the intention of this flag.  The
> purpose of the flag is not to turn on profile instrumentation (which
> already has -fprofile-instr-generate or -fprofile-generate for it), but to
> select which instrumentors to use for PGO (IR or FE).  I prefer fewer flags
> too, but sharing flags for completely different purpose does not seem like
> the right thing to do.

Ah, right. It does seem like I'm misunderstanding the intention for that
flag.

FWIW, I think consolidating the flags can happen later on, when we have a
better idea of how the different instrumentation pieces fit together. Right
now IIUC the only other thing that might count as an alternate
instrumentation implementation is XRay (and I'm not even sure they're
mutually exclusive either, i.e. both the profiling and XRay instrumentation
should be able to live together in the same binary).

So if it's just the two that will be interacting, then sharing flags
doesn't seem worth it. But if I'm missing another, then the case for
consolidating the flags becomes stronger.

Cheers